Nursing
Reese has been a champion nurser from the beginning and we've had no trouble with her latch at all. I know I am very lucky to have such a good eater on my hands, as I've heard and seen how hard nursing can be when all things don't align just so. I think this is my reward for having such a hard labor. ;-) In the hospital we met with a Lactation Consultant, Joanne, who was fantastic! Since my milk hadn't come in and it was day 3 Reese was getting frustrated and was hungry. Joanne suggested that we use an S&S supplemental nursing system by Medela. Let me just tell you that it was a life saver! Basically it's a little plastic straw that was attached to a premixed bottle of formula that we would lie on top of my nipple so that Reese would latch to both, and as a result, suck harder, making my milk come in faster and giving her the proper calories/ nutrition that she needed since she was a bigger baby. We used the S&S for 2.5 days until my milk came in. And boy did my milk come in! I have milk overload.
Right now our feeding schedule is anywhere from 2-3 hours during the day, to 4-5 hours at night.
Sleeping
We are very lucky in this department! Reese is a great sleeper and has been giving her Mommy and Daddy at least 3 hour stretches at night from the very first night home from the hospital. The first 2 nights we let her sleep in our bed propped up on pillows because she didn't like her bassinet (or so we thought...). However on night 3 I had the bright idea to take the moses basket portion out of the bassinet stand and put it in between T and I in bed. This worked wonders! It allowed Reese to technically be in her bassinet, while it gave us the piece of mind that we wouldn't roll over on her, and she was close enough to watch breathe. The past 2 nights we've transitioned to having Reese in her bassinet next to the bed. This is such a big accomplishment! Reese loves being swaddled in her Swaddle Me blanket and having her Sleep Sheep on "ocean". It's as if she knows it's nighttime and gets ready to sleep. We can even lay her down awake, and she'll fall asleep on her own.
Diaper Changes
There is definitely no lack of dirty diaper changes in this house for sure! Reese is a very healthy girl in this department, and most times is loud enough to let Mommy and Daddy know that she's going! ;-) T has been great in helping with the diaper changes, and I give him kudos for learning how to change a little girl. I told him as long as he can remember, "front to back", he's good! ;-) I'd say we go through 10-12 diapers a day right now. Reese can fit into Newborn diapers, however we just ran out and have been using the size 1's. They are definitely big on her, but I'd rather that, than they be too snug.
Milestones this week
-Reese's umbilical cord fell off yesterday, July 28th when she was just 10 days old! We are very excited about this because it was starting to smell! Also, we have her newborn pictures scheduled for tomorrow, and now her cute little belly button can show in pictures!
Weight
When we left the hospital Reese weighed 8lb 4oz, and we had a weight check appointment at the pediatrician Saturday. She was up to 8lbs 10 oz!! Then on Monday we had our follow up appointment with the Lactation Consultant at the hospital, and she was up to 8lb 14oz! We are so thrilled!! Baby Girl is thriving!
And because I can't do a post without a picture...
| Look at those baby blues. I'm in love!! |
No comments:
Post a Comment