I had my 6 week post partum appointment with my Midwife, Beth, last Thursday. The appointment is routine and so many of my friends have recently have had babies so I knew what to expect- weight check, BP check, pelvic exam to make sure that my uterus had gone back to normal size, and a pap smear since I was due. I assumed all would be well and that I'd get the all clear, but I didn't (I did get the okay to workout). Apparently all is not healed down below, I still have some "superficial healing" to do as Beth put it, and my stitches are still not completely dissolved. This worries me. I know that I had a rough delivery, but I've never heard of this before.
Let me back up for a moment... After I delivered Reese and was getting ready to be discharged from the hospital, Beth came to touch base with me and told me to schedule 2 appointments for myself- one at 3 weeks to make sure I was healing correctly, and the regular 6 week appointment that everyone gets. I never blogged about my 3 week appointment because there wasn't anything exciting to report. My stitches hadn't dissolved but that was okay because they typically take between 2 and 3 weeks on average, and I just figured that my body was a little slower because of my delivery. But now that things aren't completely healed at 6 weeks, I'm a little concerned. I go back to be checked again next week on 9/15 (8 weeks pp) and hopefully everything looks good and I can get my exam and pap.
I'm not sure that I ever shared with this blog how much weight I actually gained total before delivery... I was in denial, ha! I ended up gaining just about 40lbs which was more than I had planned (I really wanted to stay at 35lbs or under...), but I also delivered a much larger baby than I expected, too! ha!
At my 3 week pp appointment I was already down 28 lbs, leaving 12 lbs left to loose. Unfortunately there was NO change at my 6 week appointment, and those pesky 12 lbs are still hanging around. It's not even about the numbers for me at this point, but more about the shape of my body post-baby. My hips are HUGE which makes it nearly impossible to fit/squeeze into my pre-pregnancy jeans. Out of about 15 pairs of jeans I can fit into only 3 and I have some serious muffin top going on. :-(
I've been going to Barre N9ne to Mommy and Me class since Reese was 4 weeks, and have started doing Jillian's 30 day shred 4 times a week since last week to try and kick start getting these last 12 lbs off. Now that the weather is getting cooler, I'm hoping to go for at least 4-5 walks per week with Reese, and T has offered to watch Reese every Saturday morning so I can go to a real class at Barre N9ne. My mom comes home from Dallas (she's been away for the past 3 weeks for training for American Airlines) on the 17th, so I know that she'll be more than willing to watch the baby for an hour here and there so I can hit the gym again too.
That lovely linea nigra line is still there, but it is fading. Hopefully it will be gone by next summer! I'm posting the below picture to give myself motivation to shed those pounds, and also to give me a reference point as to how my body looks 6 weeks pp. Please excuse the toothbrush, haha! This was taken last week when Reese and I were on our way to lay by the pool. Yes, I subjected innocent bystanders to this body at the pool! ;-)
I didn't look that good BEFORE I got pregnant.
ReplyDelete