Friday, February 1, 2013

29/30 week Doctor Appointment

Yesterday I had my regular 30 week appointment scheduled as well as a meeting with an Anesthesiologist (to discuss a game plan for delivery after my horrendous last experience), then had bloodwork done, and had my rhogam shot.

During my appointment with my OB, my belly measured ahead by 3 WEEKS! That's right, even though I am only 29 weeks 2 days I am measuring at 33 weeks pregnant.  Cue the panic.  No wonder why I'm so uncomfortable already! :-(  At 33 weeks average babies weigh 4-4.5lbs.  This is so frustrating to me because I have gained less weight thus far than I did with my pregnancy with Reese, and everyone comments on how "little" my belly is and how small I'm carrying this time around.  I don't eat like a fat kid, so I just don't understand why I grow these huge babies.

During the appointment I literally looked at Todd and said "Oh no! Not again!".  My OB was very sweet and was trying to tell me that it's a very unscientific way of measuring (the fundal measurement with the tape), and that the baby could have just been in a strange position or have gone through a huge growth spurt since my last appointment 3 weeks ago and very well may slow down by my next appointment.  However, that may not be the case and this baby may be a giant.   :-( My doctor ordered a growth ultrasound at 35 weeks to determine baby's size and get some more measurements.  This opens up the discussion for a c-section again if the baby is huge or perhaps being induced early (how early I have no idea-- I'd guess around 38-39 weeks) .

I don't even know how to feel, what to say, or how to react.  So, if you are reading this blog and know me in real life, please don't bring this up.  I don't want to talk about it, I'm freaked out.  I'm such a planner and pretty OCD about everything details in every facet of my life, and I think my fear is simply coming from the unknown.  The unknown of how this baby is going to be born, how my body is going to react--- will I go into labor on my own? Will I be induced? Will I need a c-section? If I have said c-section how will I do being away from Reese for so many nights in the hospital? Who will care for her while I'm there? Will I be able to see this new baby and nurse her right after she's born or will it be awful and sterile in the OR and take forever before I am sewn back up and able to have skin to skin with my newborn? How will my recovery be from a vaginal birth? A c-section? Will I be "broken" until 4/5 months after delivery like last time? Ugh.....

I will say that I feel great about my OB, her practice, and the entire staff/hospital that we've dealt with.  I know that I'm in the best hands at one of the top hospitals in the world.  I'm happy that we have next steps planned and that we will all be on the same page (hopefully) in 5 weeks after my growth ultrasound.

Please keep me and baby #2 in your thoughts and pray for a safe delivery for both she and I. I know I'm praying that I do not deliver a 10lb baby.


2 comments:

  1. it's so hard to not be able to "plan" these things! (coming from a fellow planner:) i hope everything goes smoothly! i would say try not to be overly worried about the way things will go, but i know it's VERY hard not to. hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Danielle! I appreciate the good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete