Well, in our opinion, a lot! Before T and I were actually expectant parents we would always discuss our future children's names. It was something fun to talk about over dinner or in the car and we agreed on the names we loved. For a girl it was going to be Emerson Grace (nickname Emme), and for a boy, Chase Logan.
When we found out I was actually pregnant Hubs figured the name game wasn't something we'd have to participate in. Little did he know that I just couldn't pull the trigger on either name. Both were just ho-hum to me, and I was having a hard time picturing my child with either of those names.
We always knew that we'd find out the gender of Baby C so we hoped that once we did we could more seriously discuss names and not have to come up with two different names. Since we found out Baby Girl is a in fact female, we could get rid of any boy names that we'd been tossing around. Last weekend Hubs and I went through the entire girls section of a name book that claims to have 100,000 names in it. So I'm guessing that at least 50,000 of them were girl names. How many did we come up with? 8. Just 8. 3 of them we already had on our "maybe list".
So here we are, halfway through the pregnancy with a list of 8 potential names. Truth be told, I don't LOVE any of them. Well maybe I do, but just not for my precious baby. I'm just having a hard time picturing my daughter with any of those names. I want her name to be classic, pretty, and not too popular. I want her name to suit her as a baby and little girl, yet grow with her and be able to suit her as an adult. Since I was in sales for quite some time and dealt a lot with clients, I would see some of the strangest names come through my email in box. For some reason Barbi or Brandy just don't scream professional to be. Do you blame me?
My mother keeps suggesting names that are just so NOT our style- Natalie, Brooke, Rachel, Lana, etc. just to name a few. She'll actually refer to Baby Girl as one of them in conversation- um, what?! Any names that I've told her we've liked she seems very so-so about or says that she doesn't like them. Since all of our friends and family have been asking us about Baby Girl's name, we've been willing to share some of our top contenders. However, never fail people will give you their opinion, good or bad. They'll relate a specific name we've mentioned back to a girl they knew in high school that was bad news, or an ex-girlfriend, etc. Really, people? Thanks, but no thanks!
What exactly is the point of this post you ask? Well, one- it's to let you know that we don't have a name yet, but we're working on it. Two- that once we do pick a name, I'm not sure that we're going to share it. I know, roll your eyes at that idea...but seriously it's such a hard decision and I cannot get past anyone saying they don't like it or knew someone with that name. T thinks that when we really are certain on a name that we just tell people, period. We'll see! If you know me you know I love all things monogrammed so not having Baby Girl having all of her burp cloths, onsies, and bloomers monogrammed with her initials already isn't sitting well with me. Ha!
No comments:
Post a Comment