Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Day in the Life

I wanted to take a moment to document a typical day here in the C household.  I was talking to T the other night and told him I couldn't even remember what a typical day was when Reese was only a few weeks old.  This makes me sad! So, I decided that I wanted to have an idea of what we filled our days with now so I can look back in a few months and remember!

This was from Monday, October 17th.

5:38am- I can hear/see Reese is stirring in her crib on the monitor.  (This is only the second night she's slept in there so I'm thrilled she made it through the night).  Reese had fallen asleep at 6:10pm last night  which is earlier than usual and we worried that she'd be up at 3am! Last night before we went to sleep at 9:30pm, we woke Reesee up to feed her a bottle (4oz.) and change her diaper. I jump up and grab Reese out of her crib and bring her into bed with us, swaddle and all. She's restless, but sleeps in our bed until 5:55am.

5:55am- I nurse Reese in bed, and T goes to prep her bottle and brings it to me.  After she's done nursing, I put her into her Boppy, and T feeds her the bottle.  I think I'm being proactive and begin to change her diaper while T is feeding her, but the lights are off and the sun hasn't come up yet and guess what? Reese peed all over the bed even though I tried to be so careful, even putting down a pee pad.  Oh well! We needed to wash the sheets anyway.

6:15am- Strip Reese, the bed, and mattress pad cover.  Time to start laundry early this morning.  T and I laugh.  Reese is in her diaper and T is in his boxers and they both have sleepy eyes, but it's so cute. T dresses Reese for the day. I putter around upstairs tidying up, and folding laundry.

6:45am- T begins to get ready for work, and I take Reese downstairs and put her on her playmat so I can wash bottles.  (Usually I'd have them washed from the night before, but last night was Sunday, football was on, and I just wanted to relax.  T and I had a few Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale beers and I rimmed our glasses with cinnamon and sugar. So yummy!)  T walks by and turns the TV on for her and puts the Sprout channel on.  Reese LOVES watching the colors on the TV, but I really try to limit her from watching TV throughout the day.  We're ususally out and about during the day, anyway.

7am- I make pumpkin spice coffee that I just bought from Trader Joes on Friday. I pour myself a cup, and get T's to-go mug all set.  Reese and I head back upstairs to switch the laundry.  I think she's wet, so I changer her diaper (I was right). I lay her on her quilt on the hallway floor next to the washer and dryer and I fold clothes.  Reese is all smiles and I talk to her as I fold laundry- 'This is daddy's blue shirt' 'These are mommy's socks'.

7:20am- Back downstairs, T is getting ready to leave. I make a list of things I need to get at Target, and list the errands that I need to do today.  These include a trip to Target, Babies R Us to return something, and possibly a trip to Yankee Candle.

7:30am- Reese is starting to fuss, so I put her in her swing.  By 7:40, she's asleep. I run upstairs to use the bathroom, come downstairs, put the Today show on and grab the computer to check facebook, email, and start this blog post. Reese ususally only cat naps for 20 mins all day, and then if we're lucky she'll give us an hour or two later in the afternoon.  Right now it's 8:20am, she's been sleeping for 40 mins and I'm shocked...

8:25am- She's awake and talking in her swing! I just love her. I leave her in there for a few more minutes until she seems bored.  I scoop her up and we spend the next 5 minutes making funny faces and "talking" to each other.

8:40- We run upstairs to turn the dryer on for one more cycle and I can tell Reesey is getting hungry.

8:45- I try to nurse her.  It works for about 2 minutes, then she decides she's not having it.  I make a bottle of 1/3 BM I had in the fridge and 2/3 formula.

9am- I'm hungry.  I decide to make Trader Joes' blueberry oatmeal that I just bought.  I've never had it before.  Yuck! Not good at all! :-( I'm really sad about it, but the Quaker version is so much better.  I'm sure this is much better for me, so I eat it.  I have Reese in her Bumbo seat.  She's not impressed.  Back on the playmat.

9:15- start the dishwasher, and text with the Hubs for a moment.  I can tell Reesey is getting restless on her playmat, and decide we should get going with the errands so we can be back before she needs to eat again, probably around 11ish. Head upstairs and get dressed.  No shower for me, just a quick brushing of the teeth and throwing on comfy clothes (jeans, shirt, uggs).  I'll shower when T gets home from work. I look outside and see that it's so windy.  Reese hates the wind- so I decide to install her Bundle Me in her carseat.  I'm not sure it's in right, she looks so teeny! I'll have to confirm it's right tomorrow with my mommy friends at Mommy and Me class at Barre N9ne.



9:54am- We're on the road.  First stop, Target.  Reese must have loved her new Bundle Me because she zonked right out before we even got down the hill by our house. A few minutes later, we've arrived.  Reese sleeps the entire time we're in there, and I got everything I needed.  Success.



10:29- leave Target, head over to Michael's Craft Store right across the parking lot.  It's close enough to walk, but you have to drive over- not safe for walking.  Reese wakes up the second we get in the door, but is content just sitting in her stroller.



10:48- leave Michael's and head to Babies R Us, the last errand on my list.  At this point, Reese is getting fussy.  Thank goodness I was in and out of there quickly... like the quickest transaction I've ever done in that store, ever.  In and out in less than 4 minutes.  It's record setting. We leave there and Reese is all out screaming in the backseat.  I knew she was going to be hungry, but thought she'd last a little but longer than she did, so now I'm rushing home.  Good thing we live less than 1.5 miles from the store.



11am- arrive home. I decide to leave all of the bags in the car and get them later. Change a screaming Reese's diap.  Try to nurse her, she's not having it.  Give her a bottle.  I inhale a granola bar.  We hang out for a few minutes and Reese is her happy self again.  Lots of smiles.

11:35- head upstairs, put Reese in her lamb seat, and put the mattress pad and sheets back on the bed.  While doing that I decide we should go for a walk.  Change into yoga pants.  Change Reese into fleece pants and a hoodie.

Noon- I think to myself that I should try to pump before we go.  I get all set up, and have Reese on her playmat.  She does okay for a few minutes and then gets fussy.  She's bored, I get it.  I try to pick her up and keep her happy while I finish pumping.  At 12:12, she's had enough.  I turn off the pump.  I barely got 1/2 ounce.  My supply is basically non existant. :-(




12:21- we're off on our walk around the townhouse community.  Reese is asleep the second I buckled her in to the carseat.  Wow, that Bundle Me is like magic.  We stop to mail a letter at the mailbox at the community center.  I do two laps before deciding that I should just head to the mall and do a few laps in there, plus I can grab a Starbucks with a gift card I got for my birthday and possibly use the coupon I have to Yankee Candle.



12:50- we arrive at the mall, and I am still power-walking doing laps.  People probably think I'm crazy...oh well! Reese wakes up shortly after we arrive but loves just looking around at all of the lights and stores.  She's such a good baby.  I stop at Yankee Candle, then Starbucks (grande iced skinny vanilla latte for me). Yankee was having a buy one get one 1/2 off on certain scents, so I go that route...Buttercream Vanilla and Pumpkin Pie- and I'm able to use my $15 off coupon.  Perfect!

1:35pm- I realize that Reese is going to need to eat soon, and that she probably has a wet diaper.  I decide that I don't want to wait until we get home to change her, so I stop at couch in the Nordstrom wing, and change her.  While I'm there I figure I should just give her a bottle, too. Once that was done, we head home.

2pm- we're home. She's happy, so I bring in all of the bags from the car. We hang out for a little bit.

2:30- I think Reese is looking tired, so in her swing I put her.

2:40- She's asleep in the swing.  I start to catch up on this post, and then decide I'm starving and haven't had lunch yet.  I need to eat.  What's on the menu? A frozen Kashi meal, Lemongrass and Coconut Chicken.  Quick and easy and yummy.  While I wait for my meal to be cooked, I reassemble the bottles I washed this morning, and prep 3 bottles for the rest of the night.



2:55- I sit down to eat.  I'm done at 3pm.  Eat quick, much? Hahaha! I then take the next few minutes to relax, and catch up on email. I'm pleasantly surprised with an email from a friend, Kerry, who is also our photographer.  She's sent me the link to the photos she took of us yesterday. She did an absolutely AMAZING job. If you're local and you're looking for a photographer, I highly recommend Kerry. Here's a link to her website.  I get about half way through the pictures, and Reese wakes up.

3:25 - take Reese out of the swing.  She's not a happy camper and I try to make her comfortable, nothing is helping.  Hmmm, this is unlike her.  It's only been 2 hours since she last ate.  Oh well, I make a bottle for her, and sure enough she sucks it right down. Today she's been a little more spitty than usual (she's not much of a spitter-upper at all, actually).  I wonder if her tummy is upset? I call my mom back (she had called as soon as I sat down to eat lunch, so I let her go to VM) and bounce around the living room with Reese in the Baby Bjorn. Reese loves the Bjorn, it seems to always calm her down.

4pm- head upstairs to use the bathroom with Reese in tow. I put her on the bed and we have a tickle contest.  She's eating it up. Such a ham.  Such a cutie.  I decide to head to her nursery to read some books.  We read three- one halloween book that was a gift from Nana, a new book that we've never read before from my friend Errika, and Seashore Baby that is also new to us. Reese stares at the pages and seems content.  After we finished the books, I changed her pee pee diaper.  She's fussy.  It's way too early for bed, but I think that her clock is messed up from her new nighttime routine of sleeping in her crib. Most days she's not up until 7ish, and this morning she was up at 5:30.  Poor monkey.  I debate putting her in the tub, but decide that  should try to wait until T gets home.  He loves doing tubby time, and he's a huge help. I decide to take her back downstairs and try the swing.

4:25pm- I put Reese in the swing, and I can tell instantly that she's going to fall asleep.  She fights it for about 5 minutes, but then passes out. I play on the computer for a few minutes, but then decide I need to do some things in the kitchen, like empty the dishwasher, feed the cats, get the coffee maker prepped for the morning, prep dinner, and if time allows peel the apples for the apple crisp that I plan to make for dessert tonight (we just got a bunch of Macintosh apples from Brooksby Farms, yesterday).

5:15- I'm still in the kitchen and wondering when T is going to be leaving work, I guess he's working a little bit late today.  Reese is still sleeping...hmmm.  This is definitely unlike her regular routine.

5:45- T is on his way home and now I'm peeling apples and getting the oven preheated for the crisp.

6:15pm- T is home- he can't believe Reeseybear is still sleeping. We discuss letting her sleep so we can eat dinner, then plan to wake her for a tubby and bubba. T heads outside to grill some steak tips.

6:45- we eat dinner.  Tips, peas, and brown rice.  It's delicious.  I'm so happy to have my hubby home.

7pm- I wake Reesey.  She is exhausted and has that puffy-eyed look happening.  Poor little bug.  I really wish we didn't have to wake her, but it has to be done, otherwise she'll be up at 2am for the day.  I snuggle with her on the couch, then nurse her.  This is the first time all day that she's nursed, and she's doing good.  She starts to dose off, but I wake her.  T makes her a bottle for after her tubby.  We all head upstairs and give Reese a bath.  She's so cute and all smiles for us.  She loves the tub...must get that from her mama. ;-)

7:45pm- Put R in her jammies, then T gives R her bottle, we swaddle her, and put her in her crib.  After all of that is done I look at the clock...7:59pm.

8pm- I jump in the shower, relax, and go back downstairs to finish this post. T and I catch up on DVR and have some of my apple crisp, yummy!

10pm- we're exhausted and head up to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment