Okay, so I last left off on this post that Todd had made a huge mistake and booked his return flight for March not February. Todd was so upset, and decided to head directly to the airport since he couldn't get through to Jetblue on the phone due to their "extremely high volume" due to the storm/blizzard. I tried my best to do what I could being 3,000 miles away from him-- I called Jetblue, looked on their website, other travel websites etc. Everything was booked solid, and getting home to Boston from San Fran was NOT an option.
Todd's wifi connection at the airport was weak at best and the lines for the ticket counters were unbelievably long and slow moving, so I was the one in charge of finding him new flights. To make an extremely long story short, we decided to get him as far east as possible on Friday night, and then try to get him as close to Boston as possible on Saturday morning so he could drive the rest of the way. I booked him a flight to Chicago Friday night arriving at midnight, then booked a hotel as close to the airport as possible, then booked him a 6am flight from Chicago to New York on Saturday morning.Our biggest fear was that he'd make it to Chicago then get stuck because NY would cancel all flights (anything to Boston landed too late and would have definitely been cancelled because it was scheduled to arrive during the thick of the storm-- we needed him on the East Coast by 10am at the absolute latest).
You have to remember that I was also dealing with a really sick toddler who just happened to be absolutely melting down as I received the news from Todd and was dealing with booking him flights, etc. I had the biggest knot in my stomach the whole night. I can deal with a lot, but this was a bit much. A sick baby (who had been sick for DAYS), a husband who was away for the entire week, to dealing with all of the above being 8 months pregnant, to now having to deal with a blizzard alone was enough to put me over the edge. I couldn't help but think the worst--- what if I need to get Reese to a doctor? What if I go into labor? I'll be stranded in our house ALL WEEKEND WITHOUT MY HUSBAND! I know I'm being a bit dramatic, but that's the truth. My mom had to work, and my in-laws aren't close by. I couldn't fall asleep until after midnight, then was awoken by Reese coughing at 3:30am. She coughed and cried from 3:30-6:30am. It was just awful and I felt helpless. Finally Reese fell back to sleep from 6:30-8:30am.
Luckily Todd's flight on Saturday wasn't cancelled, and he was able to get to NYC no problem and even was able to rent an SUV to make the drive with (due to an awesome hook up from one of our good friends who works for a car rental company). Another sweet friend gave me to directions to relay to Todd to get him out of NY the quickest (thanks, Alex, if you're reading!). After 23 hours of commuting Todd was finally able to make it home!
I think I can safely say that I've never been happier to see him in my entire life!
No comments:
Post a Comment